Genetic Preservation Biopsy Instructions
Deceased Pets- International
(You can find a PDF version of these instructions here.)
Time and temperature are the most important factors in a post-mortem situation. Refrigerate (DO NOT FREEZE) the body as soon as possible after death, have biopsy samples taken and shipped to ViaGen Pets as soon as possible. The biopsy samples should be kept approximately 4ºC and received by ViaGen Pets within 5 days of death. Storage at higher temperatures will decrease the chance of successful preservation and should be avoided. Keep in mind that each day the animal has been deceased minimizes the chance of a successful preservation. Please be aware the best way to assure a successful preservation is to have your animal biopsied while it is alive. These instructions are to be used for obtaining tissue for genetic preservation of cells from deceased animals. Tissue samples received will be used to establish cell cultures, and the resulting cells will be harvested and stored in liquid nitrogen. Biopsy samples should be taken by a veterinarian.
INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING INFORMATION
In order to facilitate correct identification of the shipment and to ensure timely delivery A Statement of Health must accompany each shipment. The Statement of Health must include the following information:
• Identify the material and naming the animal species
• Confirm that the material does not contain any other animal derived material (i.e., does not contain any livestock or poultry origin material).
• Confirm that the material was not derived from feline or canine species which were inoculated with or exposed to any infectious agents of USDA agricultural concern.
Items Required for Biopsy & Shipping
Sterilizing Agent (chlorhexidine/alcohol)
Scalpel Blade or 8 mm biopsy punch
Sterile Blood Tubes (without anticoagulant) filled with Sterile Saline
Frozen Gel Ice Packs
Styrofoam Box for Shipment
Newspaper or Bubble Wrap
Storage Agreement – International – signed
Statement of Health (3 copies)
Commercial Invoice (3 copies) – to be provided by your courier
Recommended tissue types for Genetic Preservation include: skin and ear. We prefer to receive three to four independent samples from more than one tissue type. AT LEAST 1 EAR SAMPLE IS REQUIRED.
Aseptic Preparation of Biopsy Site
The biopsy area must be shaved and cleansed with a series of chlorhexidine and alcohol scrubs.
Tools and Technique
A sterile scalpel and forceps are required. Cut through all the layers including the epidermis, dermis, and the most superficial parts of the subcutis. Remove (2.0 cm X 2.0 cm) tissue samples with sterile forceps. Alternatively, a sterile 8 mm biopsy punch may be used to take the samples. Place samples in vials filled will sterile saline. Store vials in the refrigerator until ready to package and send out.
Using a marker, clearly label one container/tube for each sample with the following:
Date of death
Sex of the animal
Complete a Biopsy Form and place it in a Ziploc bag and include in the shipment.
Shipment Procedure for Tissue Samples
1. Place at least 4 frozen gel ice packs in the bottom of a Styrofoam box.
2. Wrap each tube containing samples in newspaper or bubble wrap, so they will not come in direct contact with the ice pack.
3. Place the wrapped sample containers on top of the ice packs.
4. Seal the box, and immediately send samples to ViaGen Pets via FedEx (or similar courier) for overnight delivery or delivery as soon as possible and provide the tracking number to ViaGen Pets.
5. Contact ViaGen Pets to receive shipping information and coordinate delivery time.
Samples should be shipped to:
Attn: Lab Processing ViaGen Pets
715 Discovery Blvd, Suite 410
Cedar Park, Texas 78613